Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pileated househunting?

I sure hope so. I spotted (well, actually Chili spotted) two Pileated Woodpeckers (Dryocopus pileatus) in one of the pine snags. Since two years ago I had a pair build a nest in another snag (just about 30 feet away), I'm hoping they were househunting and they choose my location. Oh...the bluebird come by pretty much daily to grab some insects from the grass, but they did not start a third nest. I suppose I will just have to wait until spring of 2009......a worthwhile wait, I might add.

On an ornary note, I checked the Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants today to get the correct scientific name for the milkweed I purchased at the master gardeners plant sale which was marked as butterfly milkweed. Well, based on my research it appears to be scarlet milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) which is not native. I'm clearly disappointed to have been misled and sadly I started several pots with the seeds of this non-native. The butterflies seem happy with it, but since I was hoping to be "all native" moving forward, this just saddens me.

Next trip to Maple Street Natives in West Melbourne, i'll see if I can't get some proper native butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa).

No comments: