Saturday, August 9, 2008

Rains return

Some nice thunderstorms are in the area. The plants really need a good drenching after a few days without measurable rain. The pond is back within its banks and I can get the lawn mower around it again to mow. And mow I have. I didn't even finish the back yard and it is time to mow the front again.....and that is without rain for a few days. I guess the oppressive heat this week contributed. Thankfully it is going to be back down to seasonable temps today.....and my morning garden walk confirmed that it has cooled down.

I saw the first buds on the Redroot (Lachnanthes caroliniana). A Gulf Fritillary Butterfly was mesmerizing on the Dogfennel (Eupatorium capillifolium) early in the week. I tried to catch him (her?) in a net to take a photo but I am a bit too slow. I also spotted one on the red flowered cannas. The alligator flag (Thalia geniculata) in the pond is beginning to show leaves. I can't wait for it to flower!

The climbing hempweed (Mikania scandens) is expanding along one section of the front side fence and has adapted to the daisy shaped metal lawn ornament in the "wild" section of the backyard. I await the pretty white flowers!

This past week I had many varieties of butterflies including sulphurs, monarchs, swallowtails (including zebra) and others. A good many dragonflies seem to be calling the yard home. I was surprised that they are up close to the house instead of being down by the pond...although the pond has a great many of its own. We have had a tree frog explosion as well! I'm happy that most that I have seen are green, so florida natives and not the cuban type. Many are the size of my pinky nail. I can't imagine the chorus that I will encounter each night when these guys all grow up. As long as they eat the mosquitoes, the are welcome to stay. I can always wear headphones.

No comments: